UCI INFORMATION FOR BUSINESSES (HARROGATE & DISTRICT)
From Saturday 21 – Sunday 29 September, our region will welcome the best cyclists from around the world for the Yorkshire 2019 Para-cycling International and UCI Road World Cycling Championships, with around 70 countries represented in time trials and road races.
Whilst a sporting event of this scale brings great opportunities to the Harrogate District, it is important that business owners have access to relevant information to help them plan ahead and advise their customers. I have therefore written a handy guide for businesses in the Harrogate and Knaresborough area, including UCI marketing, travel and event information and links to useful websites.
Note: some details below may be subject to change, so please check the official website links for the most up to date information.
UCI EVENT OVERVIEW – YORKSHIRE 2019
- The UCI is the worldwide governing body for cycling
- The UCI Road World Championships are one of the World’s largest cycling events with around 70 countries represented
- Unlike other elite level pro cycling events such as the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia, all teams race in national colours, with the chance to win the iconic rainbow jersey (blue, red, black, yellow and green). The winner can then wear this jersey in every race the following year
- The Championships include men’s and women’s races, across three age groups: Junior (age 17-18), Under 23 and Elite.
- The time trial events will take place Sunday 22 – Wednesday 25 September
- Yorkshire will be hosting the first ever Team Time Trial Mixed Relay (3 men and 3 women from each country)
- The road races will take place Thursday 26 – Sunday 29 September
- The event is predicted to attract approximately 3 million + roadside spectators and a predicted global TV audience of over 250 million
- 6000 – 7000 riders, officials and support staff will be in the Harrogate District for the event
- There will be a full week of live coverage on the BBC
- All races will end in Harrogate, meaning that competitors, support staff and spectators will remain in the local area. This also means that the winner of every rainbow jersey will be decided in Harrogate
- Average stay is 4-5 nights for international visitors and 3-4 nights for UK visitors. Most accommodation in the district is already full, but Harrogate Tourist Information have a list of available rooms
- The event organiser is Yorkshire 2019 Ltd, a company which is has been set up specially to deliver the event and has offices in Harrogate and Leeds
- For the first time ever, a UCI-sanctioned International Para-cycling event will take place alongside the UCI Road World Championships on Saturday 21 September.
- The Para-cycling races will pass through Knaresborough on Saturday 21 September (2pm – 4pm) as part of Yorkshire 2019 Para-cycling International. This will be one of the biggest Para-cycling events in history and is a qualifier for the Tokoyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
- Knaresborough Chamber have also organised a large free community event in Knaresborough Market Place and Castle grounds on Saturday 21 September (11am – 9.30pm) to coincide with the Para-cycling races on the High Street. This will include a farmers market, a classic car and steam engine rally, children’s entertainment and an extensive schedule of live music in the Castle grounds.
MARKETING YOUR BUSINESS DURING THE UCI
- The UCI branding must not be copied or recreated by anyone, anywhere (unless you are an official sponsor of the event).
- You must use the bespoke Welcomes the World logo on any advertising, rather than the official UCI one. You can download Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon, Boroughbridge, Masham and Pateley Bridge specific logos here: http://bit.ly/2Y51gUS
- Flying Colours of Knaresborough (official flag makers to the Queen) have a range of UCI related bunting available to buy online: https://www.flyingcolours.org/yorkshire-welcomes-the-world/
- Use social media and hash tags to build interest in the lead up to and during the event, e.g. #Yorkshire2019 #uci #cycling #Harrogate
- Think of innovative ways to advertise your business to multi-national visitors, aerial tv crews and a global audience
- There is more marketing information for accommodation providers, event organisers and businesses in the tourism sector here: https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/blog/read/2019/08/welcome-the-world-with-visit-harrogate-b23
GETTING AROUND DURING THE UCI
Note: some details below may be subject to change, so please check the official website links for the most up to date information. I have no affiliation with any of the websites I have linked to. I have just gathered a directory of useful resources to help local business owners such as myself.
Saturday 21 September – Para-cycling in Knaresborough
- Route: the races will approach Knaresborough on 21 September via Spofforth and Little Ribston and continue on towards Scotton and Ripley
- Road Closures: The Market Place, Silver Street and Castlegate will be closed from 8:00 to 18:00 and the High Street will be closed from 11:45 – 16:30. There will be two way traffic on Cheapside (to Brewerton Street)
- Parking: all Knaresborough car parks will be open as normal, except the Market Place. However, the road from Little Ribston, the High Street and Bond End will have restricted access due to the Para-cycling races from 11:45 until 16:30, meaning that it may not be possible to leave some car parks within those times. The High Street will be closed from 11:45 until 16:30. The Castle car park will be open all day, but the only exit will be via Cheapside (which will be allowing two way traffic). Please check exact times and road closures here closer to the event: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships .
- Public Transport: trains to and from Harrogate, York and Leeds will be operating as usual and increased capacity is planned. There are some alterations to Knaresborough bus routes on the 21st September due to the High Street road closures. See the following websites for more details: https://yorkshire2019travel.com (bus) and https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/uci (train)
Throughout the UCI Championships – Harrogate and District
- Travel in the area may be restricted or subject to delays throughout the Championships, so please use the resources below to plan ahead. Knaresborough specific road closures will only be in place on Saturday 21 September.
- During race times, the best way to move around within the restricted areas will be on foot or by bike. There will be bike storage Otley Road at the edge of the Fan Zone
- There will be a Park and Ride at the Great Yorkshire Show Ground. It is recommended you book tickets in advance here: https://worldsyorkshire.ticketsrv.co.uk/parentlist
- For more details about transport, travel and parking visit: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/spectator-guide/transport-travel/
- Fore more details about road closures visit: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships
- Live road closure tracking: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/travel/
Harrogate Town Centre Road Closures (by date)
Friday 20 September
Saturday 21 September
Sunday 22 September
Monday 23 September
Tuesday 24 September
Wednesday 25 September
Thursday 26 September
Friday 27 September
Saturday 28 September
Sunday 29 September
Monday 30 September
Tuesday 1 October
UCI FAQS AND USEFUL LINKS
- Official website of UCI event organisers: http://Yorkshire2019.co.uk (all race routes, UCI FAQs and event information)
- The Races (dates, times and routes for para-cycling, time trials and road races): https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-races/
- Para-cycling event (Sat 21 Sept): https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-races/yorkshire-2019-para-cycling-international(Para-cycling classifications, Para-cycling race routes and downloadable event information)
- Event FAQs and Facts: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/faqs
- Harrogate Borough Council guidance for businesses: https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/uci(Guidance sheets for businesses and events, logos, promotional videos)
- Road closures (Sat 21 – Sun 29 September): https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships
- Live road closure tracking: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/travel/
- Transport, travel and parking: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/spectator-guide/transport-travel/
- Trains: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk and https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/uci
- Buses: https://yorkshire2019travel.com/
- Harrogate Park and Ride tickets: https://worldsyorkshire.ticketsrv.co.uk/parentlist
- Logo toolkit: http://bit.ly/2Y51gUS (click on the relevant town and then either the jpeg or png folders to access the full range of logos. If you double click on an individual logo it should fill your screen and then you will see a download button in the top right hand corner. This is the downward arrow and tray icon)
- UCI related bunting: https://www.flyingcolours.org/yorkshire-welcomes-the-world/
- Official merchandise: https://yorkshire2019shop.com
- Accommodation: https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/events/uciworlds2019/worlds-places-to-stay
- Knaresborough ‘Party in the Castle’ (21 Sept): https://www.facebook.com/events/knaresborough/party-in-the-castle/380572932654481/
About the author: I am a Knaresborough based professional photographer, specialising in Marketing, PR, Interior and Food photoshoots for businesses. I also have a range of Yorkshire photography products, including wall art, greetings cards and Christmas cards. All my cards can be personalised for corporate clients.